Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Guest Writer: Casey Kwiss Thompson, Virtual paradise


Virtual paradise
I have a friend who is into Kpop (Korean pop music) she had me listen to a song by a group called 2ne1 they did a song called come back home while watching the music video and listening to the song I found myself rocking to the beat and admiring the vocalists of course I didn’t understand a word of what they were saying except for the few English parts. After it was over she explained to me what the video was about and showed me the English lyrics for the song it was basically about being drawn into the virtual world and how many people choose to live in their rather than the real world. I seriously thought about this I mean how many people would rather text a person or IM them rather than meet face to face? Would you rather just stay home and watch a movie or your favourite series than go out with your friends?

For many people technology or the internet is their virtual paradise it is their scapegoat from the real world. Last year my cousin spent the entire summer on IMVU an virtual avatar game where he had his own crew his own place his own girlfriend etc for him he could achieve  or be on IMVU  what he couldn’t  in reality I guess for him that was his virtual paradise. If we are going to get philosophical on this who am I to say that virtual life isn’t real?  Do I have the right to say virtual relationships aren’t real how many people go on dating sites and find their future husbands or wives do I or anyone have the right to judge them? I shiver to think how much money my cousin spent last year but hey the heart wants what the heart wants.

By Casey Kwiss Thompson 

1 comment:

  1. I love this............ Come to think of it though, that virtual game might come in handy for me one day but ill need two headsets....... lol......... I truly enjoyed this post....

    "For many people technology or the internet is their virtual paradise it is their scapegoat from the real world."
    Now that's me....

    ReplyDelete